For people who have never experienced sedation dentistry, a common and logical question you hear: Is sedation dentistry safe?
Our short answer is Yes of course!
We wouldn’t offer it to our patients if we felt that it was unsafe or unhealthy in any way. Normal healthy adults have very little to fear from sedation.
If you have any questions about sedation, please feel free to call us at (972) 964-3774 or email us your questions.
What is Sedation Dentistry?
Sedation dentistry uses specialized medication to help patients relax during dental procedures. These can include oral sedation with pills or and gas sedation.
It is often referred to as “sleep dentistry,” although that’s not entirely accurate. Patients are usually awake with the exception of those who are under general anesthesia.
Sedation dentistry helps people who are very anxious and fearful about visiting the dentist get the help they need and ensure their dental and overall health.
Who Does Sedation Dentistry Help?
- People with extreme anxiety or fear of the dentist
- People with a low threshold for pain
- People with very sensitive teeth
- People with a severe gag reflex
- People dealing with PTSD
- People who need a large amount of dental work
Sedation Dentistry Options
We offer you several sedation dentistry options depending on your specific needs.
- For mild anxiety, we offer a calm and relaxing environment. Our staff will talk to you through your treatment and explain each step of the process in depth.
- For moderate anxiety, Nitrous Oxide (laughing gas) is an option that may be right for you. It helps relax your body during your dental treatment and will wear of quickly with few after affects.
- If you cannot sleep the night before your visit, Dr. Wilhite will prescribe something to take at bedtime and then again one hour before your appointment.
- For severe anxiety, medication is administered intravenously (through an I.V.) before your treatment.
- Any combination of options which will help you can be personalized for your treatment.
Contact us today to set up your consultation.
Contact us to discuss your goals and options for sedation dentistry.
Plus, we’ll talk about affordable financing and dental insurance options to make sure you get the dental care you need.
Don’t fear the dentist! We are here to help you get healthy and happy.