Oral cancer is cancer that can develop in any part of the mouth. It is common enough that it affects over 200,000 people in the United States each year.
Although it can be fatal, oral cancer is often treatable if detected early enough. That is why we always recommend oral cancer screenings every year for our patients. If detected soon enough, treatment is available.
Because it is treatable, it becomes important to detect it as early as possible. Your dentist can perform an oral cancer screening using the latest available technology. Using the OralID device, your dentist can check your mouth for signs of oral cancer and find them sooner than previous screenings could. The screening takes just a few minutes and is entirely painless.
In between screenings, you should be on the lookout for oral cancer symptoms.
If you find any of these symptoms, follow up with your dentist or doctor to schedule a screening and evaluation.
- Persistent ores, swelling, lumps, bumps, or thick patches anywhere in or around your mouth or throat that don’t heal
- A mouth sore that bleeds
- Areas of red or white patches in your mouth or lips
- Persistent mouth pain
- Thickening of the skin or lining of your mouth
- Painful swallowing or feeling of lump in throat
- A sore throat that does not go away
- Unexplained numbness or pain in any area of the face, mouth, or neck
- Pain in one of your ears but without any loss of hearing
- Hoarseness or change in voice
- Trouble moving your jaw or tongue
- Dentures that no longer fit normally
- Persistent bad breath
- Excessive weight loss
- Pain in tongue
- Difficulty chewing
- Loose teeth
- Ear pain
Tobacco usage, in any form, increased the risk of oral cancer. Nearly 90% of people with oral cancer are tobacco users. Heavy use of alcohol also increases a person’s chances of developing oral cancer.
By limiting these lifestyle choices, you can significantly lower your risk of developing oral cancer.
Ready to schedule your oral cancer screening in Plano, Texas area?
Contact us today to set up your examination. Dr. Wilhite has over 30 years experience and can detect oral cancer issues. He will be able to identify possible issues and recommend further treatments if needed.
We can also talk about affordable financing and dental insurance options to make sure you get the care you need.
Call us at (972) 964-3774
David Wilhite is a Plano Texas Dentist who has helped thousands of patients with a wide variety of dental health issues from general to cosmetic dentistry, Invisalign clear braces, TMJ treatment, dental implants and full mouth restorations.
Additional oral cancer resources